About > History
The Alabama PTA was chartered in 1911 under the laws of the state. In 1970, the Alabama Colored Congress of Parents and Teachers merged with the Alabama PTA. As a part of the National PTA, Alabama PTA extends the concept of a volunteer organization engaged in educating parents and teachers on issues affecting children and youth. It supports public education and the welfare of children.
Our Historic State Office Building
The Alabama PTA property located in Montgomery at 207 North Jackson Street was purchased in 1980 under the leadership of Alabama PTA President Sally Mitchell. Thanks in part to the generous donations of local units and individuals, the building debt was retired in January of 1986 during the administration of Arthur Mae Norris.
In December 1991, Alabama PTA purchased the Tulane-Simmons historical building in Montgomery at 470 South Union Street to house the state office. The former site on Jackson Street was converted into a parking lot. The income from this parking lot is used against the mortgage debt.